Monday, October 4, 2010

Introductory Speech


            I think my introduction speech went fairly well; I was able to say all that I wanted to and I didn’t get too nervous. When I went back and watched the video of my speech I noticed a few things I shouldn’t have done or could have done better. I am overall satisfied with the way my speech went, however I hope to make some changes in my performance for speeches in the future.
            I basically did my speech how I had practiced it, I said the same things, and I was confident in the content of it, (of course that was easier because all I had to do was talk about myself). I think practicing really helped me not to be so nervous and also just to present everything more clearly. Practicing in front of people more would have probably been useful and helped me to be more confident and sure of my presentation.
            When I was watching the video, I noticed a few things that I could definitely have improved on in my presentation. I was not standing with my feet planted the entire time, so there was a bit of shifting and fidgeting. This should have been eliminated and I think it would have looked more professional, and less casual. I also looked to my note cards or even to my object more than I needed to. Sometimes I think I looked to them out of nervousness, or to collect my thoughts, but some of it was unnecessary and should have been reduced. Though it was easy to hear, I could have spoken more firmly and confidently, or even loosened up to make more natural hand gestures.
            Overall I think my speech went pretty well. Although there were definitely things I could have improved on, I am satisfied with my performance and I learned things from it that I think will help me in my future presentations and speeches.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked the enthusiasm you had during your speech. You did shift your weight a lot throughout the speech. You had good eye contact with everyone. I noticed you would touched the shoes whenever you talked about them. You had a great conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first speech Laura! I really enjoyed your topic. I noticed you said "umm" a few times and you would look down or at your shoes a lot. Other than that I thought your speech was great and you had good volume and a good outline. It was very organized and well-rehearsed!

    ReplyDelete